X

Looks like you are a new visitor to this site. Hello!

Welcome to Hope For Film! Come participate in the discussion, and I encourage you to enter your email address in the sidebar and subscribe. It's free! And easy! If you have any suggestions on how to improve this website or suggestions for topics please don't hesitate to write in to any of the blogs.

You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook.

(If you keep getting this message, you probably have cookies turned off.)

November 6 at 4:00pm

“a great day for documentary filmmaking & for the future of books”

By Ted Hope

Variety recently reported:

“Documentary filmmakers have won a ruling from the U.S. Copyright Office that allows them to legally break the encryption codes of DVDs and online streaming content to obtain clips for their projects.

The material still must fall under the “fair use” exemption of copyright law, but the decision by Register of Copyrights Maria A. Pallante was hailed as a victory for non-fiction filmmakers seeking high-quality clips for their movies. The decision also allows educators and multimedia e-book authors, as well as makers of non-commercial videos, to circumvent copy-protection software to obtain such clips, although the use has to be limited in scope.” (Read the whole article)

I have long dreamed of a day when I have a wealth of titles akin to Adam Curtis’s THE POWER OF NIGHTMARES and Sophie Fiennes’ THE PERVERTS GUIDE TO CINEMA.  I love video essays and could appreciate a whole lot more of them.

Culture is built upon itself.  We need to be able to remix it.  It just can’t be taken — we need to use it to add to the dialogue.  We return value when we use it fairly.

Although this ruling doesn’t advance Fair Use, at least it gets rid of a substantial barrier.

• Digg
  • Google Bookmarks

56 Comments

1. www / Nov 6 at 4:00pm

I enjoy reading through a post that will make people think. Also, many thanks for allowing me to comment!

2. www / Nov 6 at 4:00pm

Can I simply just say what a relief to discover an individual who genuinely understands what they are talking about on the internet. You definitely understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More people must check this out and understand this side of the story. I was surprised you are not more popular because you certainly have the gift.

3. www / Nov 6 at 4:00pm

May I just say what a relief to uncover somebody who actually understands what they are discussing on the web. You certainly understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important. A lot more people really need to look at this and understand this side of your story. I can’t believe you aren’t more popular given that you most certainly possess the gift.

4. www / Nov 6 at 4:00pm

Right here is the right website for everyone who hopes to understand this topic. You realize so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a subject which has been discussed for decades. Wonderful stuff, just great!

5. www / Nov 6 at 4:00pm

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I do believe that you ought to publish more about this subject, it might not be a taboo subject but usually folks don’t speak about such issues. To the next! Cheers!!

6. www / Nov 6 at 4:00pm

May I simply say what a relief to discover a person that really knows what they’re discussing over the internet. You definitely understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More and more people have to check this out and understand this side of your story. It’s surprising you are not more popular because you surely possess the gift.